The May Block of the Month will be Scrappy Sprouts and due at the June 2015 SSMQG meeting. The block was chosen by this month's quilter Karen Shaw. Here are the instructions she wrote up for us.
Scrappy Sprouts Quilt Block
materials needed (to make one block):
(6) 2.5” Low volume squares – this will be the background
(2) 3” low volume squares - to become HST of background and sprout petal
(8) 2.5” color squares – this will be the sprout petal color
(2) 3” color squares – to become HST of background and sprout petal
(1) 1.5” x 6.5” green – stem
- Make HST of background and sprout petal color. Use your preferred method. HST needs to measure 2.5” unfinished. (I make mine a bit larger and then trim down)
- Layout all unfinished pieces as you would sew them. Trust me, this will make the process easier! Sew each sprout petal section in rows, pressing each row in alternate directions. (for ease of sewing each sprout section together press away from the HST square)
- Sew each of the rows together, making 2 sprout sections. Press (up or down, doesn’t seem to matter). Sew each sprout petal half to stem. Press sprout petals towards stem.
- Woohoo, finished!
Please make at least 4 blocks in colors of your choice (red, yellow, green, blue, purple, orange, pink).
Blocks should finish to 13.5” x 6.5” unfinished.